The holiday season is quickly approaching! If you’re currently unemployed, you may be considering taking a breather from your job search until the new year, to fully enjoy the season. While relaxing your way through the holidays certainly sounds fun, it won’t help your career.
The holiday season is one of the most popular times for companies to hire temps. Whether they’re preparing for their busiest time of year or simply anticipating a lot of time-off requests from employees, you’ll certainly have your choice of temp jobs.
Still not convinced you should spend the holidays working at a temp job? The following five reasons highlight the advantages this opportunity can bring you in the new year:
- Gain New Skills: Use the temp job as a learning experience to acquire new skills for your resume. Whether you accept a position a bit outside your comfort zone or simply volunteer to take on additional tasks, you’re preparing yourself to be a much more competitive candidate in the new year.
- Fill Resume Gaps: Employers are often skeptical about hiring candidates with a resume gap. Taking on a temp job for the holiday season perfectly fills the space, so you don’t have to explain why you weren’t working during this time period.
- Make New Connections: Every new job ─ regardless of its duration ─ offers the chance to make valuable new connections. You may meet someone who will help you secure the permanent position you’ve been waiting on.
- Position Yourself for a Permanent Position: Many companies offer their top temp workers a permanent position after the holiday season. Dedicate yourself to going above and beyond what’s expected of you each day and you may find yourself with a job offer at the end of your contract.
- Display Initiative: Many job seekers use the holiday season as an excuse to take a break from their search. Opting to take on a temporary position during this time of year shows employers you’re a dedicated worker who doesn’t slack off.
Looking for a temp job in the Michiana area this holiday season? Contact Wood Staffing today. We offer temporary, temp-to-hire, and direct hire clerical, industrial, and professional employment opportunities at varying skill, experience, and educational levels. We look forward to working with you!